Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Rules (of the blog).

I am posting this blog anonymously to protect the integrity of my school and my classmates. I am not one to name names, and I am sure that as this project progresses there will be opportunities for names to come up. I am sure there will be good guys and bad guys. No one wants to be the bad guy, so I would rather just not drop names. Maybe this will get back to my fellow classmates. Maybe someone will read this that knows the real me. If those things happen, I don't want people to read it and know who I am talking about. (Although who knows, they may anyway.)

I have chosen to name the characters in my memoirs after cars. Not only is there a wealth of car models to choose from, but I feel that they can easily portray a personality. What do you think of when someone mentions a Lamborghini Murcielago? A Toyota Camry? A VW Rabbit? (I thank my dear friend D. for her help in coming up with this concept.)

Wendy the Welder is much like Rosie the Riveter. Not an actual person, but a figure symbolizing many women. Rosie and Wendy represent the women who worked in factories during World War II. They have become icons of our culture, prominent figures in the history of the United States. I am proud to call myself "a Wendy" and "a Rosie".

The picture on my profile is of "a Wendy" at the Kaiser Shipyards in Richmond, California during World War II. I pay homage to her, and her sisters, in using this picture to represent myself. I hope that one day I can amount to all that they have. I do also plan to look for some artwork to take the place of this picture, until then, I salute the Wendy's that have helped shape my country's history.

Smalltown, USA is everywhere. Your town, my town. It doesn't matter. Imagine it to be wherever you like. Every state, province, country has one.

Please feel free to contact me via comment here, my Facebook page or email. I would love to hear from everyone. I am new to this field and those of you with experience are an inspiration to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment