Saturday, February 13, 2010

Schooling.

After I received my email that I had qualified for the Federal Pell Grant, I called up the school and signed up for orientation and my placement test.

At the orientation, we went around the room and introduced ourself and said what our major was. I hadn't (and still haven't) chosen a major. But I knew for a fact that I wanted to take all of the welding classes and upon completion of them get my certification. So when it was my turn, I introduced myself and said that my major was welding. The counselor heading the orientation looked pleasantly surprised. Her eyes got big and she went onto say "That's great, we definitely need more women welders." Woo! Girl Power! Everyone else was majoring in business, nursing, radiologic technology... very normal things. I felt different, and I liked it.

Once I completed the placement test and the school was confident that I knew english and math, I was given an appointment to meet with a counselor and choose classes and an educational plan.
We went over my different options for english, math, the basics. Then I told her that I wanted to take welding. She wasn't phased by this. But I pointed out that in the school catalog it didn't say that the upcoming arc welding class was for beginners. And should I also be taking the TIG and MIG class that was being offered? She wasn't sure, so we headed over to the shop to talk to the teacher.

The Teacher (from here out referred to as "Teach") greeted me with a handshake and a warm smile. My counselor said "We wanted to talk to you, because she is interested in taking your classes, but we are a little intimidated by the idea being that it's usually all guys in the class." WHAT? Who was she kidding? I recovered politely and elbowed her gently "You may be intimidated, but I'm not." Teach told us that he loved having women in the class because they tried hard and unlike the guys, didn't walk in thinking they knew everything. My counselor then asked if I could get a tour. Teach said sure.

One of the students gave me a tour. He showed me to the cabinet with the safety glasses then introduced himself with a handshake and showed me into the shop. He pointed out the arc welding stations, the grinders, plasma cutters.... with each thing he showed me, I felt the excitement rising in me. I was oblivious to the other people in the shop until a guy came in from the side door and asked my tour guide "What's going on?"

"She's going to be taking the class with us in the spring," said my tour guide.

Two guys at the arc welding booths turned to look at me, and their eyes grew.

The guy who had asked what was up smiled. "Ok, you can sit by me."

I laughed and said "Alright."

That was the end of the tour so when we stepped back into the lecture room, I thanked my tour guide, and only then noticed how attractive he was, and blushed at my thought. I put the safety glasses back into the cabinet, said I would see him in the spring, then went to say goodbye to Teach before heading back to the administration office.

Teach asked what my interest was in welding. Art? Cars? I told him it was mostly car related but I would be interested in some art too. He said he was looking forward to having me, and I told him also that I would see him in the spring.

In the administration office we filled out my class request sheet. Teach recommended that since I was a beginner, I should stick with just the arc welding class to start. So we picked out some other classes and she told me that I should show up and register on the first day possible because the welding classes filled fast and usually had a waiting list.

I headed home with a smile on my face, and more excitement in my heart than I had felt in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment