Friday, February 12, 2010

Relocating.

I looked into welding training many times through the community college. My guy friends always said I didn't need a class, but I am a perfectionist, and if I am gonna do something, I want to do it right, and I want the finished product to be exceptional.

But with work and life, I never had time to take the classes, so my goal of being the go-to welder, faded into the background. Meanwhile, we grew up, and the streetracing/car building crew, drifted apart. We had full time jobs, moved into our own places, some married and had kids, money was in shorter supply so the lifestyle became a hobby, and eventually some gave up the hobby.

Fast forward a number of years. It's 2009, I am single and unemployed following a series of bad decisions. The economy is in shambles. I am broke, and I finally kick my ego to the curb and move home to Smalltown, USA to live with Mom and Dad.

I'm hunting for a job, but the economy here is just as bad and much smaller. The nearest urban area is 50 miles away. I wouldn't mind the commute, but there are few jobs and all of the ones that are available have mobs of applicants. A few months are spent sitting on my butt, reading, playing video games, watching everything I can on Netflix, living on Facebook playing every flash game they offer.

I'm outside one weekend, talking to the lady who lives across the road. Nice lady, I can easily say that she is my only friend in Smalltown. She is about 10 years my senior, her kids 10 years my junior. She is telling me how she just completed her associates degree at the local community college. A lightbulb turns on in my mind.

I never went to college after high school... ok I started a semester, but didn't have the discipline to finish it. I am not doing anything now, so curiously, I hop on the school's website and browse the catalog.

Immediately, I see that there is a welding program. Mere seconds later, I am filling out the online registration.

No comments:

Post a Comment